Sr. Susanna

Susanna_garden.png

My name is Sister Susanna of the Cross. I was born in South Korea with the blessing of over a dozen religious sisters and priests on both sides of my extended family. This environment made me familiar with the Catholic faith. In the back of my mind I had always wanted to be a religious sister and I had a great desire to help others in need, especially those suffering from poverty and oppression, lack of education and marginalization in society. 

As I was growing up, I often used to think about the reason and the purpose of life and the best way to use ones time on earth in this world. It seemed to me human life was full of sadness and tragedy as I had experienced the loss of so many close family members. Death and human nature's inclination to evil made it hard to see the bright side of the world, and naturally I was inclined to a pessimistic view of life. I was attracted to reading philosophical books which challenged my faith. Gradually I found no meaning in going to church. I was an agnostic and believed only in finding happiness in philosophy. I met a number of faithful Christian classmates  who were studying to become pastors. I was amazed at their conviction of God and I wished to have same conviction about God's existence and His goodness. For several years I was wondering about different faith traditions and searching for God. By the grace of God at the end of this painful search, I reclaimed my faith in the truth of the Catholic Church and with renewed enthusiasm. I accepted her truth again, where I had grown up as the source of the most abundant spiritual blessings. It was such a liberating experience in my life. I came to realize how much I appreciated my faith and my family who had persevered in their faith despite all the difficulties and trials. Their example was priceless and I rely on their intercession all the time.

My daily life consists of continual prayers for the Church and entire human family.

• In the union with Jesus,

I believe I am helping others in a most unique way, the ultimate and the most spiritual way to help them to reach our eternal goal which is God.

Susanna-knitting.png

When I started attending daily Mass right after my conversion, I knew I would belong to Christ Jesus without reserve. During many hours of prayer to God He made me realize I had already given my life to him when I was about 10 years old. When my mother was quite sick, I asked him to make my mother well and in return I would give my life to Him. That sincere prayer as a child came back and I thanked God for the Holy Spirit who had led me to offer myself to him.  It was the very early moment of my relationship with Jesus and all these years he had been awaiting my full return to him as his own.

His unending merciful love was so great that I was compelled to repay him for his love for the rest of my life. 

Susanna-canning.png

My vocation to become a Carmelite in the United States unfolded mysteriously and wonderfully. My vague dream as a teenager to live in a foreign land and a great fervor after my returning to the faith to live as a missionary, were realized all together. Now, I am living my vocation with other women who share the same vision to be a living flame of Love in the Church. My daily life consists of continual prayers for the Church and entire human family. In the union with Christ Jesus, I believe I am helping others in a most unique way, the ultimate and the most spiritual way to help them to reach our eternal goal which is God. Happily, I am looking forward to meeting many souls who have found God and been drawn near to Him through my prayers.